Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Raven we all sketched

Way back in school, when our geography teacher first introduced us to that 'Oxford school atlas' and made sure that we carried one to school everyday, i was one of d happiest kid who religiously followed the order, for I loved those maps or as a matter of fact, loved anything that was graphic and colourful and didn't strain  my brains. Every day she would say "children, take out your atlases" and everyday we'd sit there with our textbook as well as the golden book placed side by side. The more I obeyed my teacher, the more I fell for those asymmetrical, amorphous zig saw puzzle-like land masses, coloured in all hues of pink and blue and green and yellow... Some were shaped beautifully like ice cream cones and candy floss, some resembled those well measured chocolate bars (go figure) and others, oddly marked, as if someone splashed a bucket of paint on the wall, or, remember the first time you made roti?  I took pride in my country's beautiful shape, she seemed to stand out in glory with a head held high and arms outstretched. I was proud of my homeland too- my Assam. Nature sculpted her beautifully...like a raven in full flight, whose silken outstretched wings seem to add beauty to the silvery shimmer...

But now, as I sit flipping those pages, my heart wrenches in pain. I upturn my sand timer once again... Knowingly or unknowingly I am waiting for that inevitable moment, when a feather or two would fall and the raven would quiver in its flight; when the silvery string of shimmer may change it's colour, what would it be- crimson? Red? I am scared, I am scared. 

Nay, I am sad. Sad, for the raven, I sketched at school would no longer stretch its  brazen wings. I pity you Raven, soon you'll be nothing more than a blot of ink on a blotting paper... Yet, I promise, I'll sing of you.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

The moment I saw the post, I was grinning from ear-to-ear!!!
Now that I have read it....I think more than the countless reports I have read of late, this single piece captures the angst better, but that's my Gitu! :)
While others strain for expression, she will capture you with her unpretentious words! <3

gitanjali said...

Thankie my dear habib! It's always u who is d first to pat my back n say bravo! N u knw wht, wen I get ready to click on the 'submit' button, i subconsciously question - would habib love that? I'm glad ur always around... Loves.

Unknown said...

Insightful post... just discovered your blog; will keep tabs on it now. :-)

Keep writing!

gitanjali said...

Thank u biswajit da :) but m a lazy writer u knw : P bohut dinor murot sage eta duta post porhibole pabo :)

ankita said...

Reminiscent of this.

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/812310-later-that-night-i-held-an-atlas-in-my-lap

As I read, I could actually feel the pain and the fear, and, more than anything, the sadness.

gitanjali said...

@ankita True, this turned out to be a gloomy piece. Wrote it during the ethnic clashes in Assam. A fragmented Assam they want!